Entries Tagged 'Fitness' ↓
January 25th, 2015 — Boot Camp, Childhood Obesity, Chronic Diseases, Fast Food, Fitness, Functional Training, Gluttony, Hypertension, Kettlebell Training, Keys To Wellness, Nutrition, Obesity, Obesity Epidemic, Organic Diets, Overweight, Personal Trainer, Personal Training, Processed Foods, Resistance Training, San Francisco Personal Trainer, Type-2 Diabetes
The daily gluttony of fast food and processed foods combined with a completely sedentary lifestyle is the culprit to the worst epidemic to face the Plant Earth. Obesity is the disease of our time claiming an estimated 400,000 deaths in the United States each year. With no end in sight, if obesity rates stay consistent 51 percent of the population in the United States will be obese by 2030.
The obesity killer is spinning out of control yet hardly acceptable to discuss. As a Personal Trainer for over 15 years I have helped hundreds of people loss weight and change their lives. Needless to say I have spent thousands of hours in the gym and it is unfortunate to say that it is not common to see morbidly obese gym goers or personal training clients.
Have you ever heard “I am beautiful just the way I am?” This is a true statement. All people regardless of size or shape are worthy of respect, so make no mistake my intentions are to help fight the number one killer of our time. That said, this very assertion is an attempt pretending that obesity is not a problem because it may prevent hurt feelings! Please do not discuss the generalizations and stereotypes of obese people someone might feel embarrassed or upset. Wake the heck up people! Is our society in a place that hurt feelings outweigh 400,000 deaths each year?
Some perspective. Lets look at the facts and decide if curing the obesity epidemic should be at the front lines of discussion.
- Annual health care costs related to obesity in the U.S. is nearly $200 billion, and 21 percent of medical costs in the U.S. can be attributed to obesity.
- Obesity is linked to more than 60 chronic diseases.
- According to the American Cancer Society about one-third of cancer deaths are linked to excess body weight, poor nutrition and/or physical inactivity.
- Over 75 percent of hypertension cases are directly linked to obesity. Obesity is associated with nearly 1 in 5 US deaths, according to a study published online in the American Journal of Public Health.
- More than one-third (34.9% or 78.6 million) of U.S. adults are obese.
- More than one third of children and adolescents are overweight or obese. Approximately 17% or 12.7 million children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obesity.
With no signs of the obesity disease abating we need to face the problem head on and educate the masses. The process should start with our children. Lets implement healthier school lunch programs, increase the physical education budget, and create mandatory nutrition and healthy lifestyle courses for our youth. Obesity is a preventable condition that starts with a healthy discussion, mindset and knowledge. Now is the time to put an end to the obesity disease.
April 17th, 2010 — Boot Camp, Fitness, Functional Training, Kettlebell Training, Personal Training CEC's, Resistance Training, Santa Cruz CA Personal Trainer, Santa Cruz CA Personal Training
Sign up now for this phenomenal course and earn CEC’s towards your personal training certification through the American Council on Exercise. The Lebert Fitness Equalizer Course is 6 hours and will review a 44 page manual that will increase your skill set as a personal trainer. The Lebert Fitness Equalizer takes functional body weight training to the next level!
Please visit the link to sign up:
January 3rd, 2010 — Boot Camp, CA Boot Camp, Fitness, Keys To Wellness, Losing Weight, Nutrition, Obesity, Resistance Training, Santa Cruz CA Personal Trainer, Santa Cruz CA Personal Training, Santa Cruz Personal Trainer
A new year, a new decade, a clean slate to start over, and make positive changes in your life. 2010 has arrived and it is going to be a phenomenal year!
Fitness and weight loss is amongst the most popular New Year’s Resolutions. Every gym parking lot across the nation will be packed in the following months. Gym memberships will spike, new timid faces with wide eyes will emerge, everyone is pumped up to lose weight, and begin their journey to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
This interesting phenomenon will slowing start to dwindle down in March. Statistics show that this New Year’s gym enthusiasm does not last. In fact, most people do not stick with resolutions beyond a few weeks.
Here are 6 tips to keep you on track to accomplish weight loss and fitness results in 2010:
1. Sit down with a qualified personal trainer to discus medical history, fitness goals, postural analysis, body composition, exercise testing, exercise prescription, and nutrition. Most gyms offer a free fitness assessment. Take advantage of this service and do not blindly try to create your own workout regimen.
2. Project clear, thought out, short term and long term goals. Track progress and create a schedule. You will see results if you are putting in the time with a proper workout program.
3. Make sure to reward yourself when you hit goals in your new found healthy lifestyle. This does not mean loafing on the couch with a carton of Ben and Jerry’s. Choose healthy, positive rewards, such as, a massage, a soak in the hot tub, a new I-Pod, new running shoes, or new workout clothes.
4. Keep a food Journal and choose the good stuff. A food journal is a powerful way to hold yourself accountable. Write down what you ate, the portion, time of day, and how you felt. This will help you understand your eating habits. People often eat out of emotion and stress. Work it out and uncover these triggers.
5. Have fun and enjoy your new found healthy lifestyle. A training partner is another great way to make your time in the gym social and fun. Try switching up your workout in the gym with outdoor recreational activities.
6. Be positive. Negative thoughts create stress and zap your energy. Believe in yourself, repeat positive affirmations, enjoy the excitement and opportunities of the future. Positive thoughts will be empowering, give you energy, motivation, and help keep you focused!
September 26th, 2009 — Fitness
Lebert Fitness Workshop this Sunday at Spa Fitness Centers in Santa Cruz, CA. This is going to be an amazing functional fitness event. My good friend and world famous fitness presenter, Marc Lebert is coming out from Toronto, Canada to put on this phenomenal workshop! Please contact me with any questions.
August 8th, 2009 — Boot Camp, CA Boot Camp, Fitness, Functional Training, Kettlebell Training, Keys To Wellness, Losing Weight, Obesity, Resistance Training, Santa Cruz CA Personal Training
FITNESS PLATEAUS STAND NO CHANCE. Get up, Sign Up, Get the Results you Deserve!
Do you want to lose weight?
Get in shape and stay in shape?
Maybe reduce stress in your life?
Perhaps you’re serious about improving your overall health?
The good news is that every one of those goals can be accomplished with Lifestyle Fitness Boot Camp.
Get ready to Squat, Lunge, Push, Pull, Twist, Spin, and Bend the pounds away! You will burn up to 600 calories each session, facilitating weight loss.
Our highly certified, educated, and experienced staff of personal trainers will motivate, encourage, and guide you to fitness results and weight loss. Experience Fitness Forward Camp and experience a fun, innovative, and dynamic workout!
Lifestyle Fitness Boot Camp benefits are tremendous!
- Functional, full body movements
- Total-body workout that’s varied, fun, and challenging
- Increase core stability
- Improve muscular balance, joint stability, and performance
- Movements convey to sport and daily life
- Improved neuromuscular coordination
- Save time working several muscle groups at once
- Improve your posture
- Prevent injury
- Improve balance
- Ignite Energy
Each client will rise to full potential.
Teamwork and camaraderie is created within the group.
You will look and feel your best.
Lifestyle Fitness, Inc. – Santa Cruz, CA
June 14th, 2009 — Fitness, Functional Training, Kettlebell Training, Keys To Wellness, Losing Weight, Obesity, Resistance Training, Santa Cruz CA Personal Trainer, Santa Cruz CA Personal Training
Challenge, defeat, and drive shape an elite athletes vision to be the best…
Striving for perfection in sport…
Through the blood, sweat, and tears…
Harvesting pain and emotion…
Training harder, pushing out one last rep, visualize success…
Strong will pushes through the soreness and sacrifice…
Reaching these peaks of fitness goals are often delayed…
Overtraining, fitness plateaus, and injury plague results in the gym and on the field…
Defeat is not an option…
LIFESTYLE FITNESS ELITE PERSONAL TRAINING STAFF
Lifestyle Fitness is proud to announce our new staff of Elite Personal Trainers. The most experienced, knowledgeable fitness professionals in Santa Cruz County would like to invite you in for a Free Fitness Assessment.
Sit down with a qualified personal trainer to discus medical history, fitness goals, postural analysis, body composition, exercise testing, exercise prescription, and nutrition. Let us develop a fitness solution designed to fit your needs. Your workout regimen will be fun and effective. With the proper workout plan you will see fitness and weight loss results.
A personal training program provides you with the professional, friendly, motivating support and attention to help you reach your goals. You will work one on one with me, Jerod Hoffman, Regional Director of Personal Training or one of my experienced, certified personal trainers. Appointments are set around your schedule.
Let me help you take control of your life today! With my direction, knowledge, drive, and energy you will look and feel your best! My consulting programs are a hands on approach to help you reach your fitness goals. We will find out what is really going on and I will teach you how to live a healthy lifestyle custom tailored to your needs! Please contact me to set up a free fitness assessment.
Lifestyle Fitness, Inc. – Santa Cruz, CA
April 19th, 2009 — Fitness, Functional Training, Keys To Wellness, Losing Weight, Obesity
Thursday evening rolls around and it’s been a long day at the office, but you’re gonna do it today, the dreaded “leg day.” It’s time to go through the motions at the health club during it’s peak hour. Don’t get frustrated waiting for that sweaty dude on your machine to finish his sets so you can go home….keep your cool. Stay focused it’s leg day. My trainer told me to do 3 sets of 10 on the Leg-Extension-Machine, Hamstring-Curl-Machine, Leg-Press-Machine, Calf-Raise-Machine, Hip-Abduction-Machine, Hip-Adduction-Machine, blah, blah….
Sounds boring right? That’s because it is, so many health clubs push these old school circuit’s of machines to new members promising results. I have reluctantly taught these circuits in the past, one year later checking back with the members of the health club who have stuck with these programs and have achieved little to no results. Does this sound familiar, 3-Free Sessions with a Trainer? Your excited, you have a trainer…turns out you get some second-rate-rep-counter, getting paid minimum wage, who shows up late dragging through his hang over form the night before, and could care less about delivering weight loss and fitness results.
For example, The-Keiser-Air-Resistance-Circuit is often used as part of a gym orientation. The problem is that THESE MACHINES HAVE NO ECCENTRIC RESISTANCE. A traditional lift has two phases, the Concentric Phase of the lift and the Eccentric Phase of the lift. During a chest-press the Concentric Phase is pushing the weight up and the Eccentric Phase is lowering the weight. Go try a Keiser-Air-Resistance-Machine, I promise you there is no eccentric resistance. You only get half the benefit of the lift and half the results, what a waste of time! Call your trainer out. I would bet that half of the trainers out there do not even know what eccentric and concentric means.
Alright, if you read my blog it is no secret that I am a fan of functional training. Save time and get results, try doing lunge or squat variations. We sit at the desk all day, in the car, on the couch….so do not train sitting down. Train for movements and not muscle groups. Life does not happen in these isolated planes. Movements will convey to daily life and sport. In addition, you will tone butts and guts, burn fat, and build muscle.
March 27th, 2009 — Fitness, Keys To Wellness, Losing Weight, Nutrition, Obesity, Organic Diets
While stress may have many triggers, there is no doubt that in today’s day and age it is survival of the fittest. The current state of the economy and the required go, go, go just to make it leaves many people gasping just to keep their head above water.
In addition, the American dream is no longer the white picket fence with two cars in the driveway. Unfortunately, money and possessions is driving many and contributing to chronic stress.
Chronic daily stress can lead to a whole array of health conditions including depression, anxiety, insomnia, depressed immune function, obesity, muscle atrophy, chronic pain, fatigue, etc.
Nearly 100 million Americans suffer from stress-related illness and a staggering 80 percent to 90 percent of all illness is stress related, according to stress researcher Dr. Kevin Pelletier.
Stress can trigger many physiological responses including increased leaves of cortisol, adrenaline, and other hormones which may leave your body waving red flags and make you want to curl up into the fetal position.
Every situation is different. Develop a plan that works for you, around your schedule, and that you will enjoy. Taking an active approach may be just what the doctor ordered.
Here are 6 active strategies to ease away stress:
1. Clear your mind – Yoga, Tia Chi, Meditation, breathing exercises, visualizations is a great outlet to fight stress. The mindless practices have tremendous therapeutic value and is an important key to wellness.
2. Positive Thinking – Take the blank canvas of the day and paint your world as you want it to be. Alleviate any negative relationships and aspects in your life. Set goals and take action. Visualize your success.
3. The Cheapest Medicine – That’s right folks exercise is the cheapest and most powerful medicine. Get that body moving, increase blood flow, prevent and treat chronic disease, feel and look great.
4. Nutrition and Supplementation – Feed the machine. A proper nutrition plan is important for optimal bodily functions. Your body needs and deserves whole foods, minimally processed, and locally grown organic produce. In addition, B-vitamins are known to help the body cope with stress. Glutamine aids the immune function, enhances brain function, and blocks cortisol.
5. Theraputic Modalities – Nothing like treating yourself to a massage or a soak in the hot tub. The sauna or steam room is a good way to melt away stress. Acupressure and ice is a very effective modality to treat your aches and pains.
6. Have fun – Laugh and enjoy life! Recreational activities, friendships, and enjoying the small things in life can help you cope with stress. Be gratful and smile. Don’t stress out man.
February 8th, 2009 — Fitness, Functional Training, Kettlebell Training, Keys To Wellness, Losing Weight, Resistance Training
The Ultimate Functional Workout
Time to unlock mental toughness and physical results with the ultimate tool for extreme all around fitness. Kettlebell training will enhance any training environment increasing;
- muscular balance
- muscular strength
- cardiovascular health
- explosive power
- proprioceptive balance
- weight loss
This highly effective and efficient workout originated at the dawn of strength training as counterweights in Russian markets. When the markets closed farmers would swing, toss, and juggle these round, cast iron weights for entertainment and exercise. Kettlebells were used from generation to generation, becoming part of the culture and the peoples means for physical fitness. Also referred to as Givrevoy sport or Givevik training.
The appeal of kettlebell training is gaining in popularity among a wide variety of demographics. Kettlebell fitness is delivering results in Any-Gym-USA, among athletes of all sports, and the average Joe just trying to get in shape. This cost efficient and portable gym can be used at home, when traveling, or you can take it outdoors.
Kettlebell training involves functional exercises that emphasize the bodies natural ability to move in three anatomical planes of motion. These movements will mimic and convey to daily activities and sports. Life doesn’t happen in the isolated planes used in a traditional body building regimen or on a standard resistance training machine that isolates one muscle group. In addition, we sit in cars all day, at the desk, on the couch, so it’s not a great idea to train sitting in a machine with a back rest. Kettlebell movements work several muscle groups at once, focusing on core strength.
The benefits of a kettlebell training program are tremendous;
1. Improved muscular balance and joint stability
2. Increase Core stability
3. Improved neuromuscular coordination
4. Save time working several muscle groups at once
5. Improve your posture
6. Prevent injury
7. Improve balance
8. Workout anywhere
9. Sport specific training
10. Endless variations force your body to acclimate
Implement a regimen designed specifically for you. Seek the guidance of a “qualified” fitness professional. Program design should include; a review of medical history, posture, body fat assessment, blood pressure, goals, lifestyle choices, etc. Remember there is no generic blueprint for a workout program. Each individual should have a customized plan. Get down to it, figure out what is really going on, make the right changes. Remember to schedule in proper nutrition and significant rest for recovery.
Photographer: William Walsh
January 29th, 2009 — Fitness, Functional Training, Keys To Wellness, Losing Weight, Nutrition, Obesity
Survival of the Fittest in the Economic Crisis
The current state of our economy is causing many people to cut corners wherever possible. In addition, we are all looking for more time to work and earn money just to keep our heads above water. Increasing financial stress and less time for the gym leaves your wellness goals suffering.
Build your own home gym or just dedicate a corner of the garage or bedroom to fitness. Pocket your expensive gym dues and invest a fraction of the money towards achieving your fitness and weight loss goals at home.
If you work an 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. job it’s no secret that waking at the crack just to drag yourself down to the gym gets old fast. So, you decided to hit the gym after work. It’s been a super long day at the office, but you’re going to do it today! By the time you;
- Face traffic
- Find a parking spot
- Stand in line to check in
- Change and toss your gym bag in a locker
- Workout at the gym’s peak hour
- Wait for your favorite machine covered in sweat
- Hit the lotto and score an available treadmill
- Sit next to that gross dude in the steam room
- Drive home
It’s now 7:00 p.m. and trying to accomplish your workout seemed to be a stressful task. This is part of the problem and a big reason why obesity is an epidemic in our country. For many people health clubs are a scary intimidating place. Dealing with the crowds, the time commitment, and feeling vulnerable around all the fitness freaks. There is a huge misconception that weight loss can only be achieved in the gym.
Fitness, health, and wellness is a way of life. Working out should be rewarding, fun, and it should feel good! The true secret to weight loss and achieving your goals is to devote time each day to keep improving your diet and your workout.
There are many options when you decide to purchase home gym equipment. Each situation will be different depending on space, budget, goals, fitness level, interests, medical history, etc.
The Fitness Revelation is here to help you pocket your gym dues and invest in a fitness solution at home. It is very important to understand how to exercise safely at home. My personal consulting packages provide you with the professional, friendly, motivating support and attention to guide and help you safely achieve your goals.
In addition, you will be provided with my E-Manual, Build Your Own Home Gym, free with you personal consulting program. Home Gym budgets range from $50 and up!
Let me help you take control of your life today. With my direction, knowledge, drive, and energy you will look and feel your best!
Click the Pay Pal Icon in the right hand collum to invest in your health. Please contact me with any questions on personal consulting programs.